Summer is approaching quickly! Grab your beach towels, sunblock (SPF 100 for me), and a cooler filled with lots of drinks! Fire up the grill and pass the chilled slices of watermelon around!
If there’s anything I like to do more during the summer it’s to keep the house as cool as possible and that includes the kitchen! Any time I don’t have to fire up the gas stove top or use the oven I’m one happy Momma! Aside from making cool meals, our crock pot sure does get a work out as well. But there is nothing better than grilling up some marinated chicken, prepare a cool salad, and serve up some tall glasses of iced tea. I love meals that don’t call for the entire pantry. This zucchini salad is light and refreshing, goes great with poultry, beef and pork.
1 fresh zucchini
1 red bell pepper
1 clove of garlic (optional)
1/2 fresh lemon
2 tbsp. cold pressed extra virgin olive oil
Pinch of salt and pepper
1 tsp. of your favorite fresh herbs
1. Wash zucchini and cut off the top and bottom. Then cut in halves lengthwise, cut again into strips and chop.
2. Wash and dice tomatoes. Cut onion and bell pepper in halves and chop.
3. Put all veggies in a medium-sized salad bowl.
4. In another small bowl, mix the lemon juice, minced garlic (optional), olive oil, fresh herbs as well as some salt and pepper. Pour over salad. Mix carefully and enjoy!
I was impressed with this dish, even added some organic cucumber to it. You could also add shredded carrots, some fresh corn, or even garbanzo beans for some added protein. As for the fresh herbs I chose to use basil, it’s a family favorite. Thyme, rosemary, marjoram, and oregano are some other tasty possibilities! Add any vegetables you like, play with the flavors and keep cool this summer!
- RECIPE: Zucchini and carrot noodle salad (dashofdani.wordpress.com)
- Grilled Garden Salad Recipe (kraftrecipes.com)
- Greek Zucchini (victrocious.wordpress.com)
- zucchini ribbons in 15min (doitmywayblog.wordpress.com)
- Zucchini Noodles (izzylifestyle.wordpress.com)