As summer approaches, quickly I might add, gardeners are tending to their crops with vigilance, taking care of their produce and making sure the harvest will be plenty. One of my favorite summer vegetables is zucchini. It’s such a versatile veggie, I love it grilled, sauteed, in stir fries, in soups and casseroles, but most of all I love it baked in quick breads.
Today’s recipe is courtesy by way of Retro Housewife (click here) and is attributed to Kathy Wiley, 1950. While I love being able to see these older recipes in print, I LOVE seeing them come back to life in my kitchen!
ZUCCHINI BREAD, American
1 c. cooking oil
2 c. sugar
3 c. peeled, zucchini squash grated
2 t. vanilla
3 c. flour
1/4 t. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
1 t. salt
3 t. cinnamon
1/2 c. chopped nuts
Beat eggs until light and foamy. Add next 4 ingredients. Mix lightly but well. In a separate bowl mix dry ingredients. Add flour mixture and blend. Add nuts. Put in 2 greased and floured loaf pans and bake at 325° for 1 hour. Remove from pans immediately and cool on racks. This bread may be frozen for later use.
Contributed by Kathy Wiley, 1950
This is perfect with a cup of coffee, hot tea, or milk. I went with chopped pecans, but you can grind them up smaller if you like however I like the larger bits. I also backed off the cinnamon a tad because I like using Saigon Cinnamon which is stronger than your typical store brand. Thankfully these freeze well and will make nice gifts for family and friends!
- Paleo Zucchini Bread (theperkyprimal.wordpress.com)
- Spiced Zucchini Banana Bread (lipstickandberries.wordpress.com)
- Zucchini Applesauce Bread (acedarspoon.com)
- Gluten free zucchini bread muffins (vegansciencelab.wordpress.com)
- Vegan Zucchini Bread! (askaveganbaker.com)
- Simple Whole Wheat Zucchini Bread (illustratednutrition.com)
- Zucchini Bread (pointingtothenorth.wordpress.com)
- Perfect Paleo Zucchini Bread (sarasoriente.wordpress.com)