Oh what a trying day it’s been, it wasn’t enough that I woke up sneezing and achy (I’m not getting sick…absolutely not!), but our school day was very difficult for us. Attitudes flying everywhere, constantly griping at me for leaving out a word here or there while reading out loud, and correcting me when I mispronounce something. Momma said there would be days like this…
I need a break, anyone else need one? I’m beyond ready and I’ve got the best cake recipe that will help melt away all worries…well, at least for the few moments any way 🙂 It’s a simple cake that I found in one of my great-grandmothers cookbooks. The recipe is from Inez Manuel under the Quick Breads section. You won’t regret making this cake, I promise!
What you’ll need:
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 cup sugar
1 T. brown sugar
1 unbeaten egg
2 cups flour
1/2 t. salt
2 t. baking powder
3/4 cup milk
1 t. pure vanilla extract
1/4 t. pure almond extract
Cream butter well; add sugar gradually and beat until mixture is light and fluffy. Add egg and beat well. (At this point I went ahead and added the brown sugar and extracts. Something I’ve done with previous recipes and it works well.)
Sift together dry ingredients. Add alternately with milk to creamed mix. (So basically, start with half the milk in the creamed butter, then add half the flour. Then more milk and finish with the flour.) Blend in extracts. (Kinda already did that!)
Line an 8×8 inch square pan with Release Foil, or if you prefer you can spray with a nonstick spray. Pour mixture into pan and level out evenly.
For the topping:
2 T. melted butter or margarine
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 t. cinnamon
Mix topping thoroughly.
Sprinkle on top of the batter. Bake in 400 degree oven for 25 minutes. Best when served warm.
And indeed it is! Couple this with a hot mug of coffee and you’ve got perfection!
This would be good with some cinnamon sugar apples on top if you wanted to skip the crunchy sugar topping, or spiced pears, or ooo perhaps some spiced peaches instead! I personally love it just the way it is…classic. It’s a moist cake with a lovely contrasting topping, perfect for any time of the day 🙂 I had to stick the rest of it in the freezer to keep from eating the entire cake! Seriously, that good.
I guess it’s time to get back to work, still have to bake up those homemade pizza bites for tonight. Best get crack–a–lackin’, eh? Hope you have a blessed day! And thanks for taking a break with me, I really appreciate it 🙂
- Recipe #103: Vanilla, coffee-chocolate and cherry marble cake (myfoodchallenge.wordpress.com)
- What’s Cooking….. Coconut Cake (notesfromasouthernkitchen.com)
- The Perfect Chocolate Cake (sexykitchensecrets.com)
- Low Fat CheeseCake Recipes – A Well Balanced Meal (ian6steyn.wordpress.com)
- Coffee Crumb Cake (loveandoreos.wordpress.com)
- Chocolate Cake (rgoodwinblog.wordpress.com)
- CWA Quick and Easy Recipe: Coffee Essence Cake (blogs.abc.net.au)
- Cranberry Walnut Cake, GF or Not (storybookwoods.typepad.com)
- 5 Fast and Sweet Quick Bread Recipes for the Holidays (positively-smitten.com)
- Morello cherry and almond cake (tillymakesandbakes.wordpress.com)