Evening everyone, sorry I’ve been so quiet today. Just been busy making a couple of batches of cookie dough to freeze. I figure it’s one less thing I’ll have to do come December 🙂 Anyone else prepping for their holiday baking?
I wanted to remind everyone of the Facebook giveaway that’s going on. So far there’s been three people to share it, there is still plenty of time to comment, like and share the pinned post from the Night Owl Kitchen FB page. The cut off time is December 10, 2013 at 8pm. Click the image below to join in!
Seeing how I spent the better part of my afternoon putting cookie doughs together I figured tonight’s dinner needed to be simple, yet flavorful! I went to a family fave, tater tot casserole but the twist comes from a leftover seasoning packet from a Rice a Roni box. Yes you read that correctly! Saturday my brother and his family stopped by our house for dinner. I served up Matador Mania and a mexican rice…only the rice was the rice a roni from the box and seasoned with a homemade chili seasoning mix I made last week. It was yummy! But that left two unused seasoning packets…both came in hand tonight. It’s a good way to use up left over seasoning packets or to incorporate some new flavors.
Tater Tot Casserole
2 pounds ground beef, cooked and drained
1 onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
salt and pepper to taste
1–2 packets of Rice A Roni beef seasoning packets
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 cup sour cream
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 32–0unce bag of tater tots, and season the top with more salt and pepper
Very simply, brown your meat with your onions. Drain off any grease if needed. Add in your minced garlic and cook for a minute covered. Add in salt, pepper, seasoning packets, soup, and sour cream. Stir to combine. Let simmer for a couple of minutes before adding in shredded cheese. Pour into a large casserole dish or a disposable aluminum pan (I think ours are either the lasagna pans or the roasting pans). Bake in a 375 degree oven for 35–40 minutes. Let cool before serving and enjoy!
I like to serve this up with green beans and a tossed salad on the side. It’s the perfect meal in a pinch and hits the spot for those picky eaters 😉
Hope you all enjoy and have a blessed evening!
P.S…be sure to check out some other variations below.
- Tater Tots: Not Just for Kids (weightloss.answers.com)
- Tater Tot Casserole Recipe Mexican Style (miscfinds4u.com)
- Tater Tot Vegetable Casserole (recipesforourdailybread.com)
- Easy Tater Tot Casserole Recipe (hip2save.com)
- Tater-Tot Hot Dog Casserole (recipesglutenfreeblog.wordpress.com)
- Pets of the Week: Tater Tot and Sweet Pea (kvue.com)
- Tuesday Morning Wit + 4 Ingredient Tater Tot Casserole (radmaverix.com)
- Maple Glazed Sweet Potatoes and Peaches and $100 Crate and Barrel Giveaway (backforsecondsblog.com)
- Hip2Save’s Daily Dose (11/7/2013) (hip2save.com)
- Dayspring: Holiday Giveaway Bash (thehappyhousewife.com)