Have mercy this year is nearly gone. Anyone else feel like they got hit by the holiday mack truck?
Even with all the planning, prepping, and list making we still didn’t get everything done that we had planned. I think this is the first year, from my memory, that we didn’t get certain things done. Oh well, life goes on and now we can work on getting back to normal life.
Along with that will come more alkaline foods…every year, without fail, this family gets sick. We spend a good portion of January coughing, sneezing, and fevers running amuck. I’m determined this year to NOT get sick or to have anyone else get sick either. This is why going more alkaline is key! This weekend I plan to stock up on kale, chicken, zucchini, cucumber, and other low -ose veggies and fruit. Stir fries can also be made low carb/alkaline simply by picking the right vegetables (and yes soy sauce it an alkaline forming food). Turmeric is a great spice to prevent and end a cold. It can break up congestion, thins out the mucus, and improves overall health. Buying it in bulk (<—click there to buy bulk turmeric) is a great idea during this season! Below are some yummy recipes that calls for turmeric.
Moroccan Chicken — This can be made more low carb by leaving out high carb vegetables and beans.
Deep Fried Pork Steak — Swap all purpose flour with almond flour for a gluten–free/low carb option.
Turmeric Smoothie — This is great after a workout, enjoy it with some celery sticks and almond butter for a light snack.
Turmeric Egg Salad — Doesn’t get any easier than this: egg salad with turmeric. BOOM!
Turmeric Chicken — Cut carbs by using a natural sweetener instead of sugar.
Tandoori — Spiced Turkey Skewers — Use any low carb fruit or vegetable instead of mangoes. And replace yogurt with sour cream.
Of course there are other simpler recipes to add turmeric to:
- Baked Potato
- Veggie Dips
- Baked/Sauteed/Roasted Veggies
I like to couple it with ground ginger to aid with digestion. So let this season end on a good note and start the new year healthier than ever before! Here’s to a blessed New Year full of good health and great choices!!
- Balancing your Alkaline Level (rawlivingfoods.typepad.com)
- Turmeric Curcumin Lowers Susceptibilty to Alzheimer’s (boostedmemory.com)
- Uses of turmeric powder at home (ashtangayurveda.wordpress.com)
- Using Fresh Turmeric Root (calijuiceclub.wordpress.com)
- Drink Hot Turmeric Milk & Stay Healthier This Winter. (elephantjournal.com)
- DIY Ginger-Turmeric Sleep Tea (autumnsunshineelise.wordpress.com)
- 7 Most Alkaline Foods (theitwife.wordpress.com)
- Prep For the New Year (fitgirlsgetstrong.wordpress.com)